About the building
1800's and earlier
The exact age of 24 High Street is not known, but this area of the High Street appears to date back as least as far as the Castle, to the early 16th century; the first sold china and glassware in the 1850’s.
For most of this period, the premises has been a combination of retail premises (what is now the front north corner of the shop, where the front door is), and living accommodation in the south half and upstairs.
By the mid 18th century, it was being run as a ropemakers shop, with a ropewalk to the side: a long alley, that ran from the doorway now between Heritage and Horders running to the derelict tower which you can see in our garden.
After nearly a century as a ropemaking shop, the business was bought by Thomas and Elizabeth Ford at auction in 1854:
“a substantially built messuage comprising on the ground floor two parlours, kitchen, front shop, with storeroom over and four bedrooms on the second floor, together with back-kitchen and other convenient offices, back workshop, yard, two stalled stable, sheds, ropewalk, dressing pits, oil house & c. and a large productive walled garden adjoining.”
It was Elizabeths niece, Emily Anstey and her husband who first obtained an license to sell alcohol in 1884. The first photograph we have of the shop is whilst it was still owned by the Ansteys in the early 20th century.